1. What is the purpose of fellowship?
The Fellowship of International Chinese Academy of Anesthesiology (ICAA) is a means to recognize and award exemplary members for excellence, innovative and sustained contributions in the areas of scholarship, practice, education, volunteer service and/or leadership within ICAA. The member who is awarded ICAA fellowship is a Fellow of ICAA (FICAA).
2. What are the eligibility criteria?
To be eligible for consideration for ICAA Fellowship, the candidate must meet EACH of the following eligibility criteria at the time of application.
- Be a member of ICAA for a minimum of 2 years.
- Lifetime membership due ($500) has been paid.
- Associate professor or above in academic rank.
- Peer-reviewed publications: A total of 20 papers and being either the first or corresponding author in 10 papers for applicants in research track; A total of 10 papers and being either the first or corresponding author in 5 papers for applicants in clinical track. Peer-reviewed case report is eligible for applicants in clinical track.
- Actively participating ICAA organized or sponsored activities.
- Candidates whose peer-reviewed publications do not meet the criteria detailed above can be considered on a special case basis. However, he/she must be able to show evidence of leadership in and contributions to anesthesiology, critical care, pain, or perioperative medicine through practice, research, or education. Some examples include publishing in high-impact journals, outstanding mentorship, being recognized through institutions or professional organizations, leadership roles in professional organizations, or significant service or leadership within ICAA. This type of special cases need to be approved by the ICAA Membership Committee unanimously.
3. How to apply?
If you meet the eligibility criteria and desire to become a Fellow of ICAA, you must self-nominate yourself and submit the following documents to ICAA Membership Committee.
- An application letter indicating your intent to become a Fellow of ICAA.
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae with emphasis on your academic rank and all your peer-reviewed publications.
- Provide the name, email and phone number of two references.
- Provide a photograph with head and shoulder for the Certificate of Fellow of ICAA and ICAA communications when needed.
4. How is the application reviewed?
Fellowship application is reviewed by the ICAA Membership Committee. This committee has 7 members who are the Membership Committee Chair, General Secretary, President, Treasurer, and 3 members from the Executive Board or Board of Directors. Every member represents a vote. A total of 4 votes is required for an approval of Fellowship Application. Currently, the ICAA Membership Committee is in charge of both membership and fellowship affairs.
5. How is the newly elected fellow recognized?
Newly elected Fellows will receive a certificate from ICAA and be recognized at the ICAA annual meeting, Newsletter and other means of communications.
6. Is there a fellowship due?
None. The payment of $500 for the life-long ICAA membership due is the prerequisite of becoming a fellow.
7. Who to contact?
Please contact Dr. Lingzhong Meng (firstname.lastname@example.org) for fellowship-related questions.