The Statement of the 2014 China-USA Peripartum Care Five Society* Meeting in Chicago
April 29th, 2014
Medical professionals in China and the United States have made consistent progress to improve maternal and neonatal safety, and to face the issues of healthcare efficiency and reform. The most recent challenge is to decrease the cesarean delivery rates in both countries. One month ago, “Safe Prevention of the Primary Cesarean”, an Obstetric Consensus developed jointly by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine, was published in the Green Journal. It provided a comprehensive patient safety strategy concerning obstetric management. For years, Chinese obstetricians have been looking for innovative concepts and approaches to decrease cesarean delivery rates and improve maternal – fetal/neonatal safety. The Chinese Society of Perinatal Medicine was independently established from the Chinese Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology. In 2009, the Maternal and Child Health Care of China Association was set up specifically to meet the challenges of interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary aspects of the high cesarean delivery rate.
Learning from the experiences in the United States, specifically, that the obstetric anesthesia service plays a very important role in labor and delivery suites, No Pain Labor & Delivery – Global Health Initiative (NPLD-GHI) was launched in China in 2008 to introduce this concept into Chinese clinical practice. NPLD-GHI has been welcomed and supported not only by Chinese anesthesiologists but also by obstetricians. The results of two large Chinese impact studies of neuraxial labor analgesia in approximately 35,000 deliveries have solidified that these clinical interventions of an obstetric anesthesia service resulted in improvement of the overall patient safety in their current clinical environments. NPLD-GHI has been and will continue to serve as a bridge among the other four societies and the Chinese obstetric anesthesiologists and to make efforts to promote professional communication among all medical specialties in peripartum care including obstetrics, obstetric anesthesiology, and neonatology in both China and the United States.
Leaders from all five societies at the meeting agreed and will encourage their colleagues to adopt the following concepts:
- The application and practice of evidence-based medicine is essential and paramount to avoiding bad outcomes for mother and child;
- Well studied clinical approaches should be used and translated into real clinical practice, therefore, creating benefits to their communities;
- Team based effort is one of the guiding principles of medicine, especially in labor and delivery suites. Obstetricians, obstetric anesthesiologists, neonatologists, and nurses have to work together to ensure the highest level of patient safety.
- All five societies need to collaborate to improve peripartum care via current NPLD-GHI program which may extend to lectureships, scholar exchanges, and international research in the future.
- Huixia Yang, MD: President of the Chinese Society of Perinatal Medicine, Chair of Department of Ob-Gyn in the 1st Hospital of Beijing University School of Medicine, Editor in Chief of Chinese Journal of Perinatal Medicine;
- Tao Duan, MD: Immediate past president of the Chinese Society of Perinatal Medicine, President of the Shanghai Obstetrics and Gynecology Society, President of the First Maternal and Infant’s Hospital in Shanghai;
- Lizhou Sun, MD: Vice President of the Maternal and Child Health Care of China Association, Chair of Department of Obstetrics in Jiangsu Provincial People’s Hospital;
- Qian Chen, MD: Chair of the Chinese Society of Perinatal Medicine Beijing Chapter, Vice Chair of Department of Ob-Gyn in the First Hospital of Beijing University School of Medicine;
- Runmei Ma, MD: President of Chinese Society of Medicine Yunnan Obstetrics and Gynecology Chapter，Chair of Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology in the First Hospital of Kunming Medical College;
- William Grobman, MD, MBA: Chair of Scientific Committee of the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Vice Chair of Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Northwestern University;
- Ling Qun Hu, MD: Founder and Executive Director of No Pain Labor & Delivery – Global Health Initiative, Member of Feinberg Academy of Medical Educators, Northwestern University;
- Alan Peaceman, MD: Principle Investigator at Northwestern University of NIH/Maternal-Fetal Medicine Units Network, Director of Maternal-Fetal Medicine Division at Northwestern University;
- Barbara Scavone, MD: President of Society for the Obstetric Anesthesia and Perinatology, Director of Obstetric Anesthesia in University of Chicago;
- John Sullivan, MD, MBA: Vice president of the Society for Obstetric Anesthesia and Perinatology, Director of Residency Training Program in Northwestern University;
- Cynthia Wong, MD: Editor in Chief of Obstetric Anesthesia of Anesthesia and Analgesia, Vice Chair of Department of Anesthesiology, Director of Obstetric Anesthesia in Northwestern University;
- Edward Yaghmour, MD: Chair of the American Society of Anesthesiologists Committee on Obstetric Anesthesia, Schedule Director，Department of Anesthesiology, Northwestern University.
中 美两国医护人员一直致力于提高母婴安全，同时也面临不断改进医疗体制，提高医疗体系效率等问题。全面降低剖宫产率是两国医护人 员议事日程上的主要挑战。一个月前在《妇产科学》杂志上发表的“美国妇产科学会”和“美国母胎医学会”的联合共识，为大家提供了比较完整、清晰的产科临床 实践的思路和切入点。之前，中国产科同行也已经开始为降低剖宫产和母婴安全努力寻求新理念、新方法和新措施。在已有的妇产科专业学会外，成立了“中华医学 会围产医学会”，并 在2009年针对性地为降低剖宫产率成立了跨学术界的“中国妇幼保健协会”。
借 鉴美国同行“产科麻醉在确保母婴安全中必不可少”的经验，跨学科运作的“无痛分娩中国行”在2008年开始了这方面的转换医学 工作。不仅仅得到了中国麻醉界的欢迎和支持，还有幸得到了中国产科同行的合作。并在共计35000产妇的两个临床自然试验中，确认了产科麻醉在目前中国产 房条件下，对改善母婴安全所起到的积极作用。“无痛分娩中国行”愿意、也已经成为中美医学交流，尤其是围产医学交流的桥梁，和“美国母胎医学会”，“北美 产科麻醉和围产医学会”，以及中国产科和产科麻醉同行继续一起努力，促进围产医学（产科、产科麻醉、新生儿学）领域的交流和进步。
iriority of obstetric practnena中美两国围产医学学术高层都认可，接受，并鼓励同行：
＊Five Peripartum Societies in China and the United States中美围产医学五方：
- The Chinese Society of Perinatal Medicine中国围产医学会
- The Maternal and Child Health Care of China Association中国妇幼保健协会
- No Pain Labor & Delivery – Global Health Initiative无痛分娩中国行
- The Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine美国母胎医学会
- The Society for Obstetric Anesthesia and Perinatology北美产科麻醉和围产医学会